Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Menus

I am lacking in the motivation department. Yeah, yeah.. you already knew that - but just in case you didn't I felt it relavent to remind you. Since I am so lacking, I have decided to try to make myself accountable by telling you all about it. Sure it's failed previously (remember the diet I was going to weigh in on and give progress weekly-- see how well that worked.. Diet Smiet.. I did lose 4lbs, that counts for something right?) but this time it'll work.. Just nod.

So I've decided that we eat out Wayyyy tooo much. It's easier, faster & yummy. But it cost ALOT to eat out with 6 1/2 people. Since I'm trying to save up for our out of state trip this summer (Southern Darlin'), I'm instituting a weekly menu again. I figure posting here will keep me a bit more honest (if I remember to post and stick with it.. I'm totally not fickle or anything.. Quit saying such things!).

So welcome to Monday Menus! Not that I necesarily make them on Monday but Sunday Menus just doesn't have the same ring to it now does it?

May 4-10th

Monday

One dish Chicken Bowtie Pasta*

Garlic Bread

Salads

Taco Tuesday

Burritos**

mexican rice

Chips & Salsa

Wednesday

~ cheater day~ Eating @ Mom's house.. Baby Bug has a dr appt and big kids are riding the bus to Gma & Gpa's. I totally conned her into She graciously offered to cook supper for us since we wont be getting home until supper time.

Thursday

Beef Stew (in the crockpot..oohh ahhh)

French Bread (for dippin' cuz we are definitely dippers!)

Friday

Homemade pizza

Chips & dip

Saturday

Leftovers Lunch .. ie. clean out fridge!

Supper- Take out :)

Sunday

Sunday is Family day here. We normally invite my parents over for a late lunch/early supper and eat the nice fattening homemade type stuff. Mom brings dessert to further widen our waistlines.

Fried chicken

Mashed potatoes w/ gravy

Veggie (finally right? Finally she feeds the kids a veggie!)


* I jerked over my chicken recipe from a Ragu recipe. At least I'm honest in my thieving and changing right? So here's my version :
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts -cubed
1 tsp olive oil
1 can Italian style tomatoes
1 jar Ragu Roasted Garlic Parmesan sauce
1 lb box pasta of choice (we prefer bowties but like to change from time to time for variety)
1- 8oz package mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta. While pasta is cooking, saute your chicken breasts (already cubed) in the olive oil in a large skillet w/ available lid. You can just cook it til it's white thru but I prefer to brown it just a tad.. I have a thing for browning meat , just my quirk. Drain pasta & toss it into the skillet with the cooked chicken. Add tomatoes, Ragu sauce & mozzarella and mix well. Put lid on & turn down to low. Simmer for 10mins.

** Another jerked over recipe. The original recipe from a friend was for a Burrito pie.. We didn't mind it that way but use the meat mixture to make taco/burritos and homemade mexican pizzas as well.

1lb ground beef

1/2 onion

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1- 10oz can Rotel tomatoes w/ green chiles

1/2 jar taco sauce (approx 8oz total)

1 can refried beans ( I use fat free, not that it's helping me much by this point)

1- 2oz can olives (optional- I tend to leave out most the time & Daddy Chaos adds them himself later)

In a large skillet over med. heat, saute the ground beef for 5mins. Add the onion & garlic , and saute for 5more mins (or until meat is browned.. cuz I'm a browned meat freak). Drain excess fat. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low , and let simmer for 15-20minutes. That's it, it's done. You're supposed to then take it and make a casserole by layering tortilla shells, meat mix, cheese ect and baking it for 20-30mins @ 350*.. but we dont follow directions well & prefer to just eat it like tacos :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you read the blog? Leave me a comment people.. I'm needy like that :)