Monday, May 2, 2011

This is what happens when you only watch DVR'd shows.

It was announced last nite but alas I was watching something dvr'd and didn't see it until this morning.  I'm always behind.. why should this be any different?

Our president has announced that Osama Bin Laden is dead.

Now I don't normally talk about heavy stuff like this.  I steer away from politics and my opinions there of.  But this is another big point in history.  Something that I feel I need to just say this and get it out. 

September 11, 2001 changed our lives.   We were all affected in one way or another by one of the worst attacks on our country in it's history.  As a country, we pulled together. We were shocked and hurt at the senseless killing.   We have grown stronger as one- united.

But the years have dragged by..

Ten years and we finally have justice.  

Thousands died in those plane attacks. 

More have died in the war on terrorism.

Those of us living at the time will never forget. 

Every year when Sept 11th rolls around, we seem to be unable to not talk about it. 

We remember where we were and how we found out. 

We mourn the loss of our loved ones and even those we didn't know.  

We shake our heads, unable to understand the hatred the al-Qaida  holds for our country. 

Our people.


So yes, bringing down the leader of this organization..

The mastermind to all those deaths, is something to be celebrated. 

But celebrated cautiously. 

This is not the end. 

As much as we might all wish and hope for peace.

I will never understand a person who believes so deeply in harming others that they will kill themselves purposely to meet this goal. 

I hope I never do understand how their minds work.

Yet I do understand this- Bin Laden is dead, but someone else will step up.  They will now feel it is their place to avenge his death.  Or perhaps they will just be happy to step into the leadership and claim all the glory of killing innocents for themselves.

When will it end?

To all the families that lost loved ones during the reign of Osama Bin Laden - I hope you feel a bit of closure that this monster is no longer out there.  I know this can never bring back your loved ones, so closure is all we can hope for.

To the military - Thank you so much for all that you do to protect us!  A  "Job well done!" doesn't seem enough but I can never appropriately express my gratitude for all that you risk and all the losses you have incurred.  My heart is with each and every one of you!

I sincerely hope that this is the beginning of the end.. That our troops can all be home safely soon..  That our children can read about it in the history books and be shocked at the violence rather than still be living it.    I hope for peace.

                     Peace be with you,

1 comment:

  1. if it makes you feel better....I was watching the DVR'd Royal Wedding and also missed the news and Obama's speech!

    ReplyDelete

Did you read the blog? Leave me a comment people.. I'm needy like that :)